Friday, October 02, 2009

Washing Mommy's Feet

One evening (at the end of August), while I was giving Jasper a bath, I was sitting on the toilet which is right next to the tub. I had already washed his body and lathered up his hair and was letting the shampoo moisturize his scalp (or I pretend it was, even if it wasn't). He was just playing in the tub, and all of a sudden he said, "mommy let me wash your feet." Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth*, I happily agreed.

Thankfully he offered this to the right parent. Drew has such ticklish feet, I don't think he would have been able to stand it and enjoy the pampering I received. Pedicures are not in his (past or) future.

Jasper thought it was just great! He giggled as he washed between my toes.




We've only had a repeat of this pampering once or twice since the first time. So, it's not an every day affair, but it sure is fun when he thinks of something he wants to do and CAN do by himself. He's growing up, whether we like it or not.

* I had to look this up. Based on the Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms, this is based on the idea that you can learn a lot about a horse's condition by looking at his teeth. ... I'm still not connecting the dots. Perhaps my critical thinking skills are a bit rusty.

But what really is a gift horse?

2 comments:

Erin said...

I always thought the "gift horse" idiom came from the story of Trojan Horse. Which explains the "gift" part but not the "mouth" part. Going by your research, it would make sense though. If someone gave you horse (a gift horse), you wouldn't want to look and see how old it was. You might then be disappointed in the quality of the gift. :D

Charis & Judah's Mom said...

I always understood that it would be rude to look the horse in the mouth to see how old and healthy it was; checking out its mouth implies the possibility of rejecting the gift because it's not good enough. It's an affront to the giver, who is being generous. The idea is that you accept the gift cheerfully, even if it may not be the finest gift.

At least that's what my mom told me, and I believe everything she says! :)