Sunday, December 23, 2007

Not the greatest 12 days of Christmas...

The week started off with fun things like Jasper reorganizing our freezer. Then...



...the adventure started with a very innocent decision. On Monday night, we decided to attend Yobany's birthday party at his house. To accomplish this, we loaded Jasper up without bringing the pack-n-play. We didn't plan on staying very long. While there, Jasper started feeling ill, but he didn't show any signs until...he sat down and threw up on the Mayen's floor. Not only did he deposit his dinner from only about an hour before, he still had some of his lunch in there. It was surprising how much he had packed away in that cute tummy of his. I caught some of it in my hand, and Erica was quick to help me clean up the floor. Jasper had thrown up all over his outer clothes, but his onesie underneath was in pretty good shape. Jasper kept such a good temperament through the whole thing that we assumed the ravioli for dinner didn't agree with him. We thought that was it.

We let Jasper roam around the party in his onesie while Erica and I tried to maximize the time. While sitting on the couch, Jasper wondered close to me. Not anticipating the next event, I picked him up and put him standing in my lap. He chose that moment to empty an astonishing amount from this stomach considering what he expelled just a few minutes prior. Luckily, my lap caught all of it instead of Yo's nice black leather couch. After calling for help, I got a plethora of towels to try and contain the mess. Erica took Jasper to the bathroom, and I sneaked behind them like a naked man using towels to cover his lap. The following picture shows how Jasper looked just prior to our departure. Yes, he only has a diaper on under that fleece jacket.


Jasper proceeded to empty his stomach twice on the way home, and about every 30 minutes from the first event at 7:45 PM until around 12:30 AM. Erica and I spent the the early morning hours keeping Jasper hydrated before he settled down for a few hours.

He woke up feeling a little better, but Erica took him into the doctor. Dr. Sharp gave us some information about how to help Jasper adjust back to normal eating, and we worked to follow her instructions. Jasper had one stomach emptying set back on Tuesday afternoon but improved as the week went on. However, Erica and I started suffering the affects. Erica was knocked out on Wednesday, and I was on the couch most of Friday.

We had a 10:25 AM flight Saturday from Austin to Cincinnati combined with a 3 hour layover before arriving in Kalamazoo, Michigan for Christmas. The first flight and layover went well as you can see from the picture. Jasper loved pushing the stroller around the airport.


Then, the flight from Cincy to the Zoo started. Jasper initiated the flight by filling his diaper on takeoff. The flight is a "short" 35 minutes, and the pilot decided to not turn off the fasten seat belts sign because of rough air. It wasn't very bumpy, but it was his decision. I kept Jasper in my lap trying to meter the escaping gas from Jasper's dirty diaper. Then, as we descended into Kalamazoo, Jasper turned his head to his right, directly toward my chest, and emptied his stomach multiple times. Erica was quick to help, but the damage was done. He and I were both soaked. Once we landed I took Jasper straight into the bathroom to clean both of us up. (Erica tried to clean up the seats and alerted the flight attendant to the goings-on. She said she'd have to call HAZMAT to clean up the row - yikes!) At the airport Jasper had the luxury of a completely new outfit. I wasn't that fortunate. I smelled bad. My father-in-law drove us home as we watched to see if Jasper would throw up again. He did not, and he has been improving over the past 30 some hours. He has no shortage of caregivers including his cousins Karin... ...and Linnea.
Needless to say, we are looking forward to a nice Christmas.

No comments: