Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jasper Had a Run-In …

I pray we never have to say: with the law.  For now, his run-in’s are of a more concrete nature.

On Friday afternoon, Drew informed me he’d have to work late.  I decided we could pick up some food and go down to Apollo to have dinner with him.  Since he said a number of guys would be working late, we decided to pick up a group meal from Rudy’s.  When I arrived to pick it up (squeezing it in between a prescription pick-up at Target and two overly hungry boys), we had to wait a little bit.  Considering I had picked Jasper up from a dead sleep in his nap to get over to the pediatrician’s office for a check-up for Benjamin, and then immediately went to Target, he did not get his afternoon run-around time in.  So, while we were waiting for our food, I let him run along the side of the building where I could see him the entire way. 

Only for a fraction of a second before it happened did I foresee the potential harm of this activity.  And before I could do anything, the sweet Rudy’s employee slowly opened the door to bring out our food and Jasper ran directly into it.  He literally ricocheted off the door and fell onto the concrete sidewalk.  I heard the Rudy’s employee say something very grave and then the door closed.  Amazingly Jasper jumped up immediately and came to me for comfort.  He had no welt, no blood, no bruising, no disorientation, no symptoms of any injury at all.  He only complained a short time of any pain – and really only at our prompting.  The Rudy’s staff was great.  They quickly brought us ice.  The manager came our to make sure Jasper was ok.  Both were totally apologetic, wanted to take care of Jasper, followed up to make sure he was ok, etc. 

There was no way to see what’s on the other side of the door before the Rudy’s staff open it, but I suspect that’s going to change after Jasper’s run-in with the door

No comments: