Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Let's Hope Chicks Really Do Dig Scars

Perhaps we have a clumsy kid. Or perhaps it's not the best idea to give a child a cup of milk to carry around in his half-sleepy state. Or perhaps falls are just going to happen - lots of them. Many more than I'd like. I think all things are possible, and this morning "all the stars aligned against us" to produce one of those such events that sends me packing for my ulcer bag.

Jasper fell, apparently onto the milk cup he was carrying, and when he came up in his heavily crying state and we turned on the dining room light we could see, with clarity, the blood. So far we haven't had a heavy head bleeder with this kid. This again was just small amounts of blood that stayed in place and cuts that just looked uglier than they were. Thankfully Drew was around this time, and I did not have to deal with this on my own. We cleaned him up, measured the longer of the two (on the hairy edge of 1/4") and reasoned we couldn't think of a single thing a doctor could do to his eyelid. Jon - please correct us if we're wrong.
This afternoon Jasper is not showing any irritation with his eye. He doesn't rub it or demonstrate pain when he tries to keep it open. So we're still watching and waiting. The cut on his eyelid has bled a little more throughout the day and then dries on his eyelid and is a lot of fun to try and clean up. (He doesn't like it.) But other than that we're hoping this too will pass.

This parenting gig is fun.

Thankfully Jasper stayed asleep for a good long afternoon nap - almost 2 hours. I realize for some of you folks, that ain't much. But for this kid, it's reason to celebrate. He is happy this afternoon, probably getting into more trouble as I type (yes, he was), and gleefully ate a bowl of seafoam salad for an afternoon snack. I loaded up his spoon, and he quickly took it to his mouth which would then crack into the most innocent of smiles from pure delight. It was a fun little time. Now I should play with him some - you know, show him I enjoy hanging out with him, 'cause I do.

No comments: