Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Church Nursery Strikes Again!

Up until today we had enjoyed a week of relative wellness. Drew's still hanging on to something, but I haven't needed to wipe Jasper's nose free of anything since last Tuesday. (Yippee!) We decided to risk it and put Jasper into the nursery on Sunday. He loves the socialization, but we don't have a good track record with the nursery and getting sick ...

and now we're 0 for 3. Jasper has yet another cold. I've lost count. Is this 3 or 4? Ugh! the poor little kid is suffering with restless breathing and fighting me with every nose swipe. (And he's getting stronger all the time.) I decided to forgo the nasal aspirator this time and try saline drops. I thought Jasper would be ok with this approach. ... He's not. He still screams and goes into a silent sob as I try to administer the dreaded drops. It must be akin to torture. If only he knew this was in place of the yucky bulb sucker. I think he'd be jumping for joy. Oh well.

On Tuesday Jasper crawled the furthest distance to date on his knees: from his bedroom door to the front door, so - all along the hexagon tile hallway. I think it's because I've been dressing him in pants these days (since it's been beautifully cool here this week), and the pants drag when he army crawls and cover his feet - so he can't use his toes to push off. If only I knew this before! Anyway, he's very deliberate as he crawls. I think this is a good thing, and I'm sure Auntie Lindsay will agree.

Jasper's also taken quite a liking to this "Cowboy" monster truck he got from Mr. & Mrs. VanderHorst when we were in Kalamazoo in September. He gets on the floor and crawls as he pushes it along (like with Googley Eyes). When I drive it up his arm, down his back, etc. it tickles him and he nearly doubles over laughing.

We had to rearrange the nursery and move the crib away from the windows. Jasper is big enough that he can reach the curtains and the curtain pulls, as well as the light over the rocking chair. So, to do this we had to remove the futon, and this freed up a good amount of space in the room. Yesterday when Jasper got up from his afternoon nap he was totally content to sit in the corner of the room between the rocking chair and the window, just looking at all his books. It was the sweetest thing.

The windows in our living room and dining room couldn't be at a better height for Jasper. They are just perfect for him to crawl up and look outside. The dining room window is a perfect perch for him to monitor the progress on the deck and have some contact with daddy while he's out there working. He also loves the shutters and spends a good deal of time opening and closing them.

Today Jasper and I spent a little time crawling under the dining room table. Yes, "we." He discovered this spot yesterday and started crawling then, but today I crawled underneath it too and got him to follow me. Then on another pass through, he met me halfway, laughing the whole time. The space between the chairs is just the right size for him, and he's even discovered he can crawl under the chairs, too. I expect this will provide hours of entertainment as he grows.



Yesterday we saw the opthamologist. It was a long wait for a terribly short appointment. He gave us more antibiotic and wanted us to apply it, do the tear duct massage the way he suggests and then come back in three weeks - at which time if the tear duct isn't freed, he'd do a "roto rooter" style procedure on him. From the sounds of it, it would be all hands on deck to keep him immobilized while only his eye is numb from drops. I don't really see a great likelihood of this duct clearing between now and then, but I'll be praying for that. I don't know who the procedure will be worse on - him or me.

Jasper just woke up after 3 hrs of sleep and needed to be comforted a little before he fell back asleep. This is completely abnormal and all because the poor thing can't breathe through his nose. ugh. I hate colds! I really wish there was some type of immunity booster we could give him when he gets sick to help it go away faster. They really need to make something for kids. honestly!

1 comment:

Rocky and Sunee said...

sorry to hear it. i was talking with cami the other day and she's convinced snottiness just becomes a way of life, nothing can be done to prevent it. that's hard to swallow.

i think adelaide's finally over most of the cold but now she's got a virus (which has hopefully almost run its course) and is teething again. never a dull moment.