Monday, April 04, 2011

Sous Chefs

Today I decided, almost on a whim, that I would exercise my culinary muscles and practice making my Oma’s cinnamon roll recipe before Easter arrives.  This is something my Oma used to make ALL the time, and I cannot think of a visit to her house in Coleraine, Minnesota while she was alive without the sight, smell & taste of her heavenly cinnamon rolls and icing.  Even now I can place myself in her kitchen, standing next to the microwave, looking out the window at the backyard and alley, watching over the precious cinnamon rolls as they cool and get glazed with powdered sugar icing.  Ah, how food can take us back. 

It’s been 5 years since I’ve made these.  I was pregnant with Jasper the last time I can think of trying these.  In the subsequent years, grocery store available cinnamon rolls have stood in.  This year I’m going back to my roots.

Jasper was keen on the idea and was excited to know I had started the process while they were napping.  He had no idea, however, how lengthy the process is and that it would push us all to the brink.  Benjamin didn’t remember the plan.  He got up from nap in a very sleepy state and stood on the stool at the kitchen island watching the mixer going and asked if I was making pancakes.  He slurred his speech he was so sleepy, and I had to ask him to repeat at least once.  After I told him, “no, not pancakes.  I’m making cinnamon rolls.”  It still took about 20 seconds for the reality to sink in.  Then he lit up, and exclaimed, “CINNAMON ROLLS!"

Game on!

Once the two stages of rising had finished, and it was really time to start dinner, we instead decided to do the cinnamon rolls.  I had to first cut through the enormous bowl of dough to get half of it on the counter.  (Note to self: make HALF the recipe next time.)  Then it was time to roll it, spread it with melted butter, sprinkle it with brown sugar and cinnamon.  The boys got to do the cinnamon.  Jasper assured me he is a good cinnamoner.  He tried to convince me that Benjamin wouldn’t be good, reminding me of the time Benjamin dumped a pile of cinnamon sugar on his oatmeal.  He was correct (and his memory is amazing!), but we decided to give Benj a try. 

Check out my sous chefs.  We only have one apron.  Benj was happy with the hat, though. :) 

And check out the size of the dough.  That is the largest bowl I have.  Clearly, I have to halve the recipe!

 DSC_3067 DSC_3068 DSC_3069

(you’re supposed to roll the dough to dimensions of 12x18.  we needed a guide – hence the tape measure.)

DSC_3070

this is how the dough looked just before we rolled it up.  they did a nice job with the cinnamon! :)

1 comment:

denisemayen said...

That looks like so fun! I especially love Benj's tshirt. The same is true of Contessa.