Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Baby Benjamin

At my 40-wk appt this Monday, my water broke in the exam room of my OB's office. It was not a very lovely experience, but oh well. At that point in time I was just 4cm dilated. I headed across the street to the hospital and was admitted into labor and delivery. Drew left work to meet me at the hospital. We let nature run its course for almost 3 hours but I made almost no progress. So we started a pitocin drip. Just over 2 hours later pitocin had done its work, and we had this BIG baby boy.







Benjamin was 9 lbs, 9.6 oz and 22 in long. He had his cord wrapped around his neck twice which made for a very tense delivery. In the middle of much chaos and great desire to push, I was put on hold and orders were barked by the OB to change my position and keep me from pushing. Drew said he could see Benjamin, but I couldn't hear anything. I asked him, "why isn't he saying anything?" Then I was told I could push again, just once more. And he was out! After some time and some instigating by the nurses, he started to cry. What a relief!



Benjamin was not the sound nightime sleeper that Jasper was, so Drew and I got to refresh ourselves on head jiggling and swaddling. We didn't get much sleep either night in the hospital. Tonight, we'll see if anything is different.




Yesterday afternoon, Jasper came up to the hospital for a visit. He immediately was able to say baby Benjamin, but he was way more interested in the bed than spending time with his baby brother.



You can see similarities between the boys. Benjamin looks a lot like Jasper did as an infant. Except ... he has dark hair. His mouth is bigger, too. He also had a tongue tie like his brother, too! (But we got that taken care of today.) We stumbled upon the Backyardigans while Jasper was at the hospital, so he enjoyed sitting in the bed with me watching the show.



Nana, who has been taking care of Jasper while we've been in the hospital, was happy to meet her new grandson and spend about 1.5hrs holding him while they were there.


Benjamin had his hearing tested yesterday, and he passed. He looks funny here, doesn't he?


We went through multiple outfit changes today.



1 comment:

Skramarama said...

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to meet the (big!) little guy!